18 July 2012

COUNTDOWN TO THE DARK KNIGHT RISES


I had never been completely happy with Tim Burton's Batman movies, Batman Forever had the potential to be a good Batman movie but didn't quite make it and Batman & Robin left a horrible taste. Thank God for Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. But that wasn't enough, I wanted a live action Batman with the character I loved.

In the years between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins I followed the ups and downs of the development of the Batman franchise. I got excited with the prospect of Year One being adapted, though since reading what was planned I am glad no one got to see that particular film. For a while though it looked like Batman would follow Superman down that black hole and into the flames of Development Hell. Then along came Chris Nolan.

I admit, I was not up on Chris Nolan and his movies. Then I watched Memento and I was blown away. I started to become excited. Soon casting news came, followed by pictures and a trailer. I was excited, but a bit trepidatious as it seemed impossible to get the Batman I loved from the comics onto the big screen. At best, I thought, this was going to be a Batman I'd have to settle with.

Within 30 minutes of the film I was wrong. This was Batman.

The influence of Superman: The Movie is there, filtered through Nolan's brilliance. I love how, like Memento, Nolan plays with the narrative in the first hour following Bruce Wayne in the present together with the past, which shows us what sets Bruce on his journey. Nolan also taps into the horror genre with Batman becoming a bogey man that stalks his prey almost like Michael Myers, though his prey being criminals rather than comely young (well, film young) co-ed's.

The influence of comics such as Batman: Year One and Batman: the Long Halloween is there for all (fanboys) to see. Whether it be with names of certain characters or during some set pieces or with the character of Bruce Wayne/Batman himself.

Christian Bale, a fan favourite for the role for many years, excels as the totured Wayne and his journey from angry young man to dark knight is the centre piece of the film. It doesn't hurt that he is surrounded, in the most, by a wonderful supporting cast.

Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson are no strangers to the roles that they play in the film, but that doesn't mean that they phone in their performance. Far from it, in fact. This is one of, in my opinion, Neeson's best movie performance in years. Cillian Murphy turns in a suitably creepy performance as a character who's role in the film seems slightly unfinished.

Rutger Hauer is... man, that fella is plain cool. Period.

Michael Caine, who I admit I was nervous about as I couldn't quite see him as Alfred, threatens to steal the show. Caine would have too had it not been for Oldman.

Gary Oldman as Jim Gordon is genius casting. He is one of the finest actors, well, ever. Oldman's Gordon seems to step off the pages of Batman: Year One and becomes the heart of the movie. An honest cop whose world, filled of corruption, takes a weird turn thanks to "some nut".

However, the movie is not without its flaws. Katies Holmes is the weak link, though her character is slightly underwritten (Rachel Dawes was tacked on at the request of the studio so that our hero could have a love interest) and Tom Wilkinson is miscast as Carmine Falcone. Also, the contrivance to get us to the climax of the film jars with the tone of the movie they were going for.

As good as Nolan is, and he is very good, it doesn't hurt that he is working with the best cinematographer in the business, Wally Pfister. The look of this movie is just stunning.

An excellent movie that finally brings the Dark Knight to screen in a way that he deserves. Stunning visuals matched with great cinematography and terrific casting. The bar was set for all the superhero movies that have followed and it was set very high.

Final Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment