15 August 2012

THE DISCUSSION



From: Kris

To: Ross

Subject: 


----

From: Ross

To: Kris

Subject:

I'll be surprised if this ever goes ahead. As the feature states, Man of Steel is to the the first test. I believe Thor and Captain America were reasonably successful (successful enough to get sequels anyway. DC, on the other hand, have so far had a bomb with Green Lantern and not great takings with Superman Returns. They need to get The Flash into production. Wonder Woman will be a tough one to right; that'll be another test.

How come it's often never mentioned that Affleck played Superman, of sorts? Was that film called Hollywoodland? That was a good film and began Affleck's return to respected artiste following his Benny from the Block era. Anyway, I digress.

----

From: Kris

To: Ross

Subject:

I think the Bros Warner are going a different way, to be honest. Whilst I believe Man of Steel will lead into a Justice League movie, the movie itself will be used to spin off characters such as Flash and Wonder Woman. I think it will also be used as a springboard to reboot the Bat-franchise post-Nolan (and a possible reboot of the Green Lantern franchise too).

Wonder Woman has been done right -- though in the direct to DVD animated features. That movie could be used as a template for a live action movie, as could Thor (which could be argued is a similar character/premise vein).

Hollywoodland is a top movie, and I agree that it was the start of the Affleck rebirth. The WB do rate Affleck though. I believe he was offered Man of Steel but didn't feel directorally ready. Maybe this will be the case with Justice League. If so, he'd be my tip for the next Bat film.

----

From: Ross

To: Kris

Subject:

Just to clarify my comments on Wonder Woman: the origin story is a good 'un, and legends/Greek God(esse)s tend to be popular. My issue is with the costume, which works fine on the printed page or in an animated film, but when it comes to live action I feel it doesn't work in its current state and tends to be cheesy, camp, 12A-rated titillation. The recent pilot had a costume/s that looked like $29.99 pvc. For me it's the costume I have issue with and they'd have to work on, with less stars and stripes and more of the Greek warrior look as per the costume you previously showed me from Smallville. That said, I never thought they'd get the Captain America costume to work, but the one in the origin movie looks great (the one in Avengers less so).

----

From: Kris

To: Ross

Subject:

Re: Wonder Woman costume

The Xena inspired Smallville number, with a few tweaks, I think is the way to present it in the live action medium. The aborted pilot costume looked like it was bought at the Joke Shop for a costume party. Maybe it may have been different in action, chances are it wouldn't have. But I agree, the comic version would not translate.

Re: Cap's costume

The World War 2 one made sense in the context, and I think it would have worked in a modern setting too. The Avengers version is not good, though I think it has more to do with the mask/cowl than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment