26 March 2014


No specific theme this time around, just a buncha of random thoughts.

AZZARELLO & CHIANG TO LEAVE WONDER WOMAN


Newsarama run an interview wherein these guys confirmed that they would be finishing their run in the summer. Gutting. Their run on Wonder Woman has been magnificent. This has, hands down, been the best book DC have been producing every month and I can't help but feel that despite whoever comes in next the book will take a downturn in quality. I also assume that when these guys leave DC will bring Diana more in line with how she is being portrayed elsewhere in the DCnU (though Soule is doing a commendable job of bridging the DCnU Wonder Woman and the Azzarello/Chiang Wonder Woman).


MICHAEL B JORDAN AS THE HUMAN TORCH

Is he a good actor? Check. Does it matter if the race/gender/sexuality of an established character is altered? Hells, no. If I had done the New 52 reboot of Green Arrow my pitch would have involved gender change (Olivia Queen). It'll take a line of dialogue to explain how Johnny and Sue are related (mainly for the fanboys who care) and then boom on with the real reason folks are watching a movie called "The Fantastic Four".


ARROW & THE FLASH: TV'S SUBSTITUTE HARD TRAVELING HEROES?

One is an optimistic, primary costumed superhero the other is a gritty, urban vigilante. Together they tour the country/world tackling issues they would not ordinarily would. Is it just me or would it be cool if season 3 of The Flash (yeah, it's going to be picked up) and season 4 of Arrow was pushed back a year and we just had one season of them as the Hard Traveling Heroes?


HOW IMPORTANT IS DICK GRAYSON?

Very. Yes, Dick not Robin. Look, how many people outside of comics know that Jason Todd, Carrie Kelley, Damian Wayne, Stephanie Brown, Helena Wayne or Tim Drake have been Robin? I'd guess not many. Dick Grayson is as ingrained into pop culture consciousness as Batman, presumably as Robin not Nightwing though. I would argue that Dick Grayson and not his costumed alter ego is one of the most important characters in comics. Not only is he the original sidekick (would Batman be as popular had they not introduced Dick/Robin?) but he is also the character that has grown and evolved the most over the decades. Dick Grayson will never break into the Trinity but he has every right to be on equal footing with Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman in terms of his contribution to the genre.


BILL FINGER IS THE CO-CREATOR OF BATMAN

Marc Tyler Nobleman has done a lot to champion the cause of Bill Finger. His contribution to Batman cannot be underestimtated. It is sad then that he cannot be credited for his role in the creation of The Dark Knight. I realise that there would be a lot of legal headaches for the WB/DC, but in Batman's 75th year and what would have been Mr Fingers 100th year, lets get the guy some credited for co-creating one of the most enduring pop culture icons in history.


MAN OF STEEL 2: SUPERMAN VS BATMAN TAKES ON CAPTAIN AMERICA 3

I'll no doubt watch Cap 3 but now only after my second or third viewing of Man of Steel 2. However, I suspect that one of these "cars" will veer from the intended 06/05/2016 release date. Being a DC man I hope it is Marvel that chickens out.


I'M A DC

I'm not saying I don't dip into the Marvel pool on the very rare occasion, I do. Heck, I own the three trades of the brilliant Captain Britain and MI:13 and I also own a Essential Spider-Man collection (I've only ever really connected with the Lee/Ditko Spidey). I have a lot of time too for the current Hawkeye comic series, a friend having given me a lend of the trades. It's just Marvel do not have any characters that can hold my interest for an extended period of time. The same can also be said by some DC characters (Hal Jordan) who I care little about outside of team books (Hawkman). However, I have always had more of an affinity for the DCU than I have for the 616.

No comments:

Post a Comment